It's true, not all carbs are created equally. Carbs are not evil. Too many of us have been brainwashed to believe that all carbs will make us fat. If eaten in large quantities, sure they can, but then again, the same goes for eating large amounts of any food. The key is choosing the right carb to consume. Eating the right carbs can help you with your weight loss. ___________________________
1. Research suggests that increasing your intake of soluble-fiber (found in carb-rich foods like beans or oatmeal) by 5-10 grams daily could have a 5% drop in LDL or "bad" cholesterol.
2. Carbs promote the production of serotonin, a feel-good chemical in your brain.
3. Swapping refined grains (like white bread and pasta) for whole grains will help you reduce total body fat and belly fat.
4. Eating a breakfast made with “slow-release” carbohydrates, such as oatmeal or bran cereal, 3 hours before exercise may help burn more fat, according to a study from the Journal of Nutrition.
5. Many carb-filled foods act as powerful appetite suppressants because they contain soluble-fibers that keep you full for longer and satisfy your brain and belly.
These are great reasons you should still incorporate healthy carbs into your diet. Below are 5 nutrient-dense carbs that won't make you fat, and will keep you satisfied and feeling great after every meal.
1. Sweet poatoes have a lot of fiber and water, meaning they will fill you up without filling you out.
2. Quinoa (or brown rice) are also whole-grains with a lot of fiber (and water) to fill you up.
3. Watermelon is 92% water and is the perfect carb to snack on until your heart's content!
4. Spaghetti Squash (or winter squash) is a nutritious swap for pasta. It is just as filling and flavorful as regular pasta but has way fewer calories.
5. Carrots, or any other root vegetable, like beets and turnips, are complex carbs that are sweet and can help you curb your sweet tooth.
Think twice now about skipping the carbs on your dinner plate. Push over the protein and make some room for these (and many more!) nutrient-dense carbs that can help you whittle your middle!