Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner! Whether you are rooting for the Seahawks or Patriots, everyone will be partaking in the same thing- game day snacks. The average Super Bowl watcher will scarf down 1,200 calories and 50 grams of fat in snacks alone. Did you know? Six chicken wings contain about 990 calories, and then two servings of ranch at 170 calories add up to 1,330 calories for a small meal. Not to worry... we have complied some healthier game day snacks and tips to keep you on track. Your friends and family won't even know you are saving them loads of calories and fat!
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip
|1/2||(8 oz) Package fat free cream cheese, softened|
|1/2 cup||Plain Greek yogurt (or low fat sour cream)|
|1 1/2 tbs||Spicy ranch dry salad dressing & seasoning mix (or the regular ranch dry mix will work)|
|1/2 cup||Shredded mozzarella cheese (or blue cheese)|
|1/2 cup||Franks Red Hot™ Buffalo Wing Sauce (more or less depending on desired heat)|
|1 1/2 cup||Chicken, cooked and shredded (or pulled)|
|16||Servings (1/4 cup)|
|43||Calories Per 1/4 Cup|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a small baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a bowl, mix together the first 5 ingredients. Add the pulled chicken, and stir until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into baking dish, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until dip is warmed through and cheese is melted. Serve warm with baked chips, celery sticks, or other veggies!
Swap This for That!
- Heavy beer for lighter options like MGD Light, which contain 64 calories per 12-ounce bottle or Budweiser Select, which contains 55 calories (water is always a hydrating, calorie-free option!)
- Chex mix or potato chips for low-calorie microwave popcorn
- Bowls of nut or trail mix for bowls of fresh fruit like grapes and berries
Skinny Pizza Pinwheels
|1 pkg||Reduced fat crescent roll dough
|1/2 cup||Pizza or spaghetti sauce|
|1 tsp||Basil/oregano mix or Italian seasoning blend|
|1/2 tsp||Garlic powder|
|1/4 cup||Turkey pepperonis, sliced into quarters (or you could use mini turkey pepperonis)|
|1/8 cup||Parmesan cheese|
|1/2 cup||Shredded mozzarella cheese|
|120||Calories Per Pinwheel|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the dough out over the prepared baking sheet, gently pulling on all four corners of the dough to stretch the dough out a bit.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sauce, seasonings, pepperoni, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Spread mixture out over dough, spreading evenly with a spatula.
- Starting at the long end of the dough, start rolling until dough is rolled into a long skinny log. Cut into eight even rolls.
- Arrange the rolls swirl-side-up on the baking sheet, and bake for 15-17 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Serve warm with pizza sauce for dipping if desired!
Swap this for That!
- Store bought tortilla chips for your own home-baked tortilla chips
- Guacamole for local salsa or guacamole made with Greek yogurt
- Beef chili for chili made with lean 96% or ground turkey
Baked Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
|3 lbs||Chicken wings (30 roughly)|
|1/2 cup||Low sodium soy sauce|
|1 tsp||Garlic powder|
Tip: For fewer calories, take off the skin or start with skinless wings.
Sources: healthline.com | salu-salo.com | Dashingdish.com