Water’s Role in Your Body
- Water makes up 75% of the body and 85% of the brain.
- Water is necessary for the body to digest, transport, and absorb the nutrients in food.
- Water is required for breathing and for proper functioning of the cardiovascular system.
- Water is the main component of sweat. When sweat evaporates from the skin it takes with it some of the body’s heat; thus, it serves as an important regulator of body temperature.
How Much Water Do I Need?
Bet you already know this one- at least 64 ounces of water daily for optimal hydration!
Why is Dehydration Such a Big Deal?
- Dehydration has been shown to impair mental performance, short-term memory, and concentration.
- Dehydration places stress on the cardiovascular system.
- Dehydration inhibits insulin production, thus contributing to high blood sugar.
How Can I Avoid Dehydration?
First, drink adequate amounts of water daily. Second, avoid caffeinated coffee, tea, and sodas. These beverages are diuretics, which stimulate the formation of urine, which in turn reduces body fluids. Also, always drink water while exercising.
Simple Ways to Increase Your Daily Water Consumption:
- Drink water throughout the day. Because people drink more often when it’s readily available, take bottled water with you to work, when running errands, to the movies, sporting events, everywhere!
- Instead of drinking coffee or a diet soda, drink water. If you are unwilling to give up your caffeinated beverages, at least drink a glass of water before.
- Drink water throughout your workout. Keep water near you and take frequent sips. Don’t underestimate the amount of fluid lost through perspiration.
- Start and end your day with water. While sleeping, the body loses water, so drink a glass of water before bed and another in the morning.
- Buy a water bottle that fits your lifestyle. Things to look for…
- Fits your cup holder
- Has a handle/ straw/ no straw (whatever you prefer)
- Find one with ounces on the side you so can see how much you have consumed
- Easy to carry OR large enough to not have to refill
- Set a reminder on your phone so you can’t forget!